Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Finding Happy-ness...it's easier than I thought

Coming off of last week's high from losing 3lbs I discovered something new and extraordinary about myself.  I was feeling happy again.  It has been a long time since I felt actually happy.  It's strange because you tell yourself you are happy all the time, but these are just words.  The feeling is so much more than that.  For a very long time I have been very unhappy.  I have let myself go to a place that I never want to go to again.  I have felt things about myself that no person should ever feel about themselves, and it nearly killed me.  I want to be honest with all of you because I think that only through honesty can you be truly free.  I have been as low as one person can be.  It wasn't until a little while ago when I found myself researching suicide on the internet, that I realized that I was at rock bottom.  The web page I was on told me to call someone, and call them now.  It said that I was worth the phone call to save my life.  I realized in that moment that there was nobody I wanted to call because I didn't want anyone to know how low I felt.  What I couldn't see was that I needed for others to see how low I was so that they could help me climb back up.  So I started this blog and began a journey of self-discovery that has taken me on some crazy emotional rides.  This week I saw a change in myself and I realized I felt different.  I couldn't place this feeling because it had been so long since I had felt that way.  What was I feeling?  Happy.  Just happy. 
Now I don't want to assume that this happy feeling is going to last forever, however I know something now that I didn't know on that horrible night I spent on the internet researching my demise.  I know that my happiness does not depend on other people's happiness.  That might sound selfish to some of you.  To those people I say "too bad".  I have spent my whole life pleasing others and trying to make sure that the people around me were happy, only to lose myself in the shuffle.  I have come to a place in my life where I need to wade through the forest and bypass the trees.  That doesn't mean I don't love all the amazing people in my life.  What it means is that I will now be an amazing person in their lives.  I asked myself some tough questions and when I answered them truthfully I found that a lot of the "ideals" I was holding on to were actually holding me back from being truly happy.  I always thought that I needed to "grow up" and get married and have babies in order to be a functioning member of society.  The lack of these "ideals" made me feel like less of a person.  So I asked myself if that is what I truly want and the answer shocked me.  I realized that at this point in my life I don't want those things.  I may want them again in the future, but right now I am so happy being me.  I realized that I like being a beautiful, single woman that only has to answer to myself. I realized that I enjoy the freedom of doing what I want, when I want.  I realized that I only need me to make me happy.  Letting go of those ideals was like unchaining myself from a giant boulder that has been holding me back.  Suddenly I felt light as air.  I can breathe again.  I am laughing again for no reason other than I like to laugh.  You guys, I found my funny again!  I also found myself a new apartment that I am so excited to move into.  Yes it will be hard for a struggling teacher to pay the rent and bills, but that isn't going to stop me.  I have a new job that I am really excited to begin.  Yes it will be hard to adjust to midnight shifts and working from home, but that isn't going to stop me.  I have a new found love for myself.  Yes it will be hard to shed weight and keep myself in line, but that isn't going to stop me.  I have found my Happy-ness and NOTHING is going to stop me.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to reach out when we are so low. For me, I think it is because I am ashamed that I let it get that far. That I should have somehow been able to handle it myself and so, I feel deficient and want to fix it before I ask for help. The truth though, is that secrecy got us to that point. Not reaching out beforehand allowed us to get that low, so more secrecy is not the answer. At our lowest we have to force ourselves to reach out, because if we keep doing what we have been doing, trying to take care of it ourselves without being a burden on people, then it is just going to continue getting worse.

    I like to think that I am in control of myself, so the hardest thing for me to do is to admit that, if I want to succeed, I can't do it alone. If I want to work out, I need a group to work out with. If I want to lose weight, I need a friend to do it with. If I want to stay sober, I need AA. I can be successful on my own for a little while, but ultimately, I end up failing. It sounds to me like you are trying to do it on your own as well. You can't. You can't beat depression, weight-gain or people pleasing by yourself. If you could, it would have happened by now. So, find a group of people who are doing what you are trying to do and team up.

    I am on a weight-loss plan right now and I used to be a big people pleaser, so maybe we should talk about this stuff.

    Signed,
    Your Cousin Who loves You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too <3 Thank you for your comments, they mean a lot. We should talk sometime :)

      Delete